9.10.2009

"It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine..."

Hello there!
So after almost a month (dang, that's mad long...), I'm back. Right now I should probably be reading or sleeping but I'm still somewhat on summer-mode, so I'm gonna get this done.

The second to last week of summer I was bumming real hard & couldn't even bring myself to write about anything. The last week I had to work a lot (unfortunately) so by the time I got home, I was exhausted. If you've never done it before, let me tell you: retail can really wear you out. Womp womp. Never again (I hope)! Anyway, I got back up here on August 26 to start training because I'm in an RA-type position. Training was exhausting & all day, so of course I had no time to be writing about random things. I didn't even have time to download music until a few days ago. It was actually really sad :(

ANYWAY: Here's a quick summary of my summer (basically what I say whenever I get that oh-so-popular/necessary question "How was your summer?!?!?") - It was boring. Mad boring. I did one big fun thing (Rock the Bells) and that was it. No beach. No amusement park. No funnel cake. No parties. In comparison to a fun, exciting, and/or enlightening summer, one could possibly call my summer "gray" or maybe even "colorless." Yes... that's the ultimate 'womp womp' situation. But it's all good! Because now I'm back at school where I love everyone & everything :)

Today was the first day of classes, so that's probably why I should be reading or something, but since it's the first week, nothing is really that crucial. But I should probably start the year off strong, eh? I guess I am if you count not reading + planning to go out as "strong." LOL sigh.. Oh well. My goals for this semester are to do well in my classes, read most of the books/articles I'm given, participate in class, go to office hours, find a group to volunteer with, and just be focused (aka on my grind). Someone pray for me please! I hope I can stay positive & keep up this habit of smiling at everyone (hopefully people don't think I'm creepy though...) & keeping a good attitude. I mean, I've only been back 2 weeks and I'm already exhausted :(


Some good news:
We have this class here in the Africana department about hip hop & it's taught by one of the best professors here. It's really popular and I think it's only offered every other year (I could be wrong though). So in April or May we were all pre-registering for classes & I was like "Ehhh whatever, I'm not gonna take hip hop, I'm not gonna mess with any more Africana classes" (after having taken 2 & discovering my mind isn't very well-suited for them!). So I didn't sign up for it & thought nothing more of it. Flashforward to September and I'm back at school, my friends are telling me they're taking it, I'm listening to music again & talking about it, feeling disgusted/sad because of the hot mess that is all over the radio & youtube... and I decide: "Okay, I think I wanna take hip hop! I can make myself do it!" BUT I wake up this morning to register for it and they're NO ROOM. So I'm all sad, planning to go to the class just to see what's up, hoping/praying I can get in, trying to register all day randomly with no success. 10pm-ish I'm on my friend's computer & I log in & just try it one more time -- and I GET IN!!!

I am SO EXCITED. I just hope I can do well and that it doesn't make me hate music. Or question my own opinions & evaluations of music... I guess we'll see!


Random mix of songs I've been repeating recently:

* Pretty Girls - Wale ft. Gucci Mane (only song with Gucci Mane that I listen to... for real. I don't mess with him. No good) (best to listen to in your room)



* Dirty It Up - Robin Thicke (best to listen to when driving)

* Punch Drunk Love (Remix) - Common ft. Pharrell (best to listen to anytime, any place)

* Loser - Charles Hamilton

* Digital Girl (Remix) - Jamie Foxx ft. The-Dream, Kanye West, & Drake

* Nasty Girl - Jagged Edge ft. Notorious BIG

* Kissin' Ears - Gym Class Heroes ft. The-Dream



* Change Gonna Come - B.o.B., Charles Hamilton, Asher Roth

* Guess Who Loves You More - Raheem Devaughn




The song of the day from my facebook page is a great one that deserves to be up here!





I'll be back with a more sensible/organized/thoughtful post sometime soon :)

*Random sidenote - why is it that whenever I'm at school, I feel like I have to rep VA / the DMV all the time? I swear, everyone's always repping DC, Brooklyn, Chicago, Atlanta, etc. I'm like.. "Shoot, can we get some love where I'm from? Dang!" I'm about to buy a VA is for lovers shirt just so everyone knows. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails