6.08.2010

Throwback Column: The Corner of the Sofa

September 17, 2007 (English journal)

Sometimes when I look back, I realize how little I’ve changed in some aspects.



It often went like this: it was summertime and of course that meant that Tasha was always at our house or we were at hers. Being young and having nothing better to do, we spent our days either making up games or making up performances. We were rehearsing for our Mothers’ Day presentation when the typical thing happened. After running through the play, in which I portrayed a bad little girl who put gum in people’s hair, we moved on to the dance. Now, we thought that we were pretty skilled dancers and singers. We’d don’t countless performances for our parents and even one for our neighbors – we pass out fliers and everything. Somehow, in the middle of learning the choreography, the topic of interest turned to me.

“Jasmine, you’re so dumb.” (Untrue. I knew I was smart.)
“You’re just a little kid.” (Of course. I knew this.)

Still, I let these comments get to me.

Attention to practicing kind of drifted away from all of us and so we sat to watch TV. I sat quietly in the corner, hiding my face, trying to be invisible.

“Stop trying to make us feel bad.”
“Gosh, way to go.”

It was as if I would never win.


This trait has carried into my teenage years. I voice my opinion and people can tell when I’m unhappy, but I still feel like it’s those who love me that sometimes hurt me the most, and they’re the hardest people to stand up to.

Now I don’t have a corner of the sofa to hide in… The corner of the car maybe.
My personal corner.
The corner of the conversation.

A mental corner.

5 comments:

  1. A huge part of growing up is realizing that you're the ONLY one who can stand up for yourself in the real world. You're the only one who has to live with the hurt people cause you.

    The people you love most inherently have the most power to cause you pain, but they should also be the ones most willing to make changes for your happiness.

    You can set boundaries and demand the treatment you deserve. And if you don't...

    - Ms. Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. how dare someone tear little-kid jasmine down? i bet you were sooo cute.

    you are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Ed, I def agree. What I wrote then (2 years seem so long ago, but also hella close) is def not as accurate now (big ups to college!) but there may still be some truth.

    Vyvy... <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHAHAHAHAHAH THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER READ
    you should've done a autobiographical piece on this instead of your damned sponge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL HAYNE SHUT UP ABOUT THE SPONGE STORY! it wasn't autobiographical... and that was 9th grade! sigh.. y'all were the worst.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails