6.07.2010

We got the jazz, we got the jazz...

When reminiscing and music combine, I go a little crazy.



Tonight I sat down and explored some old jazz favorites (and trying to discover some new ones), thanks to the time I spent in the car with my dad earlier this afternoon. When I was younger, we would ride around listening to Smooth Jazz 105.9 (WJZW, DC area radio), especially in the summer, with the windows down, on the weekend... when neither of us had anything to worry about. I remember him taking me to some event at the Kennedy Center and seeing groups like Incognito and Pieces of a Dream. I remember riding in the backseat hearing the jock with the really smooth voice spit out names like Joe Sample, George Benson, and Chuck Mangione. I especially remember my frustration with the fact that there were usually NO words with these songs. I really didn't understand it back then! ... It would annoy me so much, that I would make up my own words to go along to the music. Looking back, they were either ingenious lines... or useless junk. Since none of it was written down, I guess I'll never know!


In no way would I ever call myself 'a jazz person.' What an over-exaggerated compliment that would be! I wish. Maybe some day..

But in honor of WJZW 105.9 (which last strong 14 years as a smooth jazz station, until the format was switched in 2008), in honor of hip-hop samples, in honor of "Jazz" by ATCQ, in honor of my dad, in honor of my childhood, and in honor of good music... here's some music:

Winelight by Grover Washington, Jr.




Breezin' by George Benson



Give It All You Got by Chuck Mangione



Mister Magic by Grover Washington, Jr.



In All My Wildest Dreams by Joe Sample



Take Five by Dave Brubeck



We're In This Love Together by Al Jarreau



Nature Boy by George Benson



Morning Dance by Spyro Gyra

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, "Jazz (We've Got)" is the best song by A Tribe called Quest and "Breezin'" has to be the most relaxing instrumental I've ever heard. Anyway, I know you don't know me but I think your blog is cool. I hope you don't mind if I follow.
    K.G.
    (therealkendallg.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails