7.14.2009

ROCK THE BELLS 2009




Yesterday (well, July 12), I went to Rock the Bells in Maryland with my friends... and had a great time! It was ridiculously hot (like, I was melting in the sun/heat. and now my face looks burnt/crispy) + I was feeling sick + they wouldn't let us bring in our lawn chairs + there were some HOT MESS people sitting next to us who kept dancing around & messing people's stuff up & acting like hooligans ... but it was ALL WORTH IT.

This year was my first time going and I'm so glad I did. Definitely doing it again next year. It was perfect: it started cooling off right when my favorite people were coming on. My boo (the original boo, before Trey Songz!) Common aka Common Sense aka Lonnie Lynn Jr. performed & I was too happy. Dude rolled up on stage in some basketball shorts & still worked it. Surprisingly he didn't do "The Light" but it was okay. I just wish he could've gone longer. It definitely didn't top when I saw him for my birthday in Providence because this was a shorter performance and we weren't up close to him... but it was still great. It's a great feeling to hear the intro to a song and know what's coming. Getting all hype about your favorite songs is nice. When Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek before Common, Talib started doing "Get Em High" but stopped and was like ".. Y'all ain't ready for that yet!" So when Common brought him back out during his performance, we definitely thought they were gonna do it together. Haha. Love that song!

Big Boi came out & did a bunch of Outkast songs, which was really entertaining. I had forgotten about some of those songs... Outkast was/is great. I wish I had been more into them when I was growing up. The Roots performed but at that point I was kind of out of it. Then Busta Rhymes came on with his ol' chunky self... He got so big, I think he just couldn't keep it going. "We gotta fit 20 years of history... into 20 minutes" or some mess like that. We know, we know... He played like 30 seconds of a song & then stop. It was frustrating, but I still had a great time when he came out. Definitely the most fun! But I have to say, I wish he didn't do "Arab Money." That song is whack. That also reminds me, Tech N9ne is some mess. Never listening to Tech N9ne ever. I like Chali 2na, he was cool. K'Naan was alright, but I wouldn't really listen to him too much I don't think... ANYWAY, Nas was the last act. Damian Marley was supposed to be with him, but he wasn't there. I was sad cuz I wanted them to do their new song "As We Are"... I've been listening to the 1 minute snippet every day for the past two or three weeks. We didn't stay till the very end of Nas but it was all good cuz I had just seen him in April for Brown's Spring Weekend... front row center, that was the best.

Sigh... that was a really disorganized/rambling recap but overall I must say: I had a good time and can't wait to go again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails